Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

What not to say to a person who is childless not by choice

Just relax, you'll get pregnant. You should try IVF... You could have twins! You could adopt... I know a person who..... (fill in irrelevant details about someone else's life)and they got an infant right away! Your dog, cat, bird, ferrett... is your kid. You'll have so much more time to do things that YOU want to do. Be glad you don't have a kid, instead of one like mine. Want one of mine? Want to trade lives? You must have so much extra money since you don't have to worry about.... Your work is your kid. It's not God's will. Everything happens for a reason. You knew it might not ever happen when you married him/her. At least you have your wife's/husband's kid. That's the same thing. Well, Oprah never had kids! (or Mother Theresa, or the Pope, or... someone who isn't me!) Any additions? I got one of these today from my sister... yes! my sister. And more than once in the span of a conversation. I have no words... at least none that I can say here. $%^@*!!! @%^@#*^$E*&^$*!!

9 comments:

  1. I don't know if this'd be counted, since it's more for disabled women- I had been told "you're deaf (insert other disabilities), you can't take care of a baby."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! That kind of rediculousness certainly counts! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so tired of everyone saying "it's happened for a reason", I mean it's really getting old. Oh, and the "did you ever think about adopting"? Nope. never. I hope your day get's better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Sarah Jane. And you are so right! The whole "it happened for a reason" thing really pisses me off, to be frank (or Daniel or George!) And I mean really, do people SERIOUSLY think we never thought of adopting?!?! HELLOOOOOO!!!! How dense do they think we are?
    But yes, my day is better. Thanks. They come and go! I hope yours is a good one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for Parents.com for telling their readers the same thing!

    http://www.parents.com/parenting/relationships/friendship/talking-to-people-without-children/?rb=Y#page=12

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! :) I'm sharing this with friends on Facebook- btw, if would be lovely if we'd be friends on FB.. :) I'm Julie Wolfers there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Julie! I tried but couldn't find you. If you want to email me at 1nonmom@gmail.com, we can figure it out. I'm keeping all names anonymous here... to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent!!! Myself included.

    Actually, I was considering creating a "Childless is NOT Less" FB page. Any thoughts, people?

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me the worst thing someone has ever told me was when coworker told me she was pregnant, then she said jokingly "I hope you'd get jealous"! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Well isn't that rude!?!?! Even if that's how she felt, it' terribly insensitive.

    The worst I've heard was from a man I know who was told by a friend "it's a good thing you never had kids... they'd be really ugly."

    In what universe is that ok?

    ReplyDelete