Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Off the cuff conversation

This afternoon, my dad called to ask me about an email he had sent me and to see how everything was going. The conversation moved from my work, to his work, to my cousins, to their children. I told him how guilty I feel for not having given him and my mom more children, how I wondered whether it would have made the situation with my nephew any easier on them, and how, even though I knew not having children may have been a real kindness given our family history of mental illness, it didn't make it any easier on me and how I continued to struggle with it.  I told him how hard it was not to have anyone in our family to pass things on to, but how I have chosen to embrace DH's family and pass my things on to them.  My voice trembled as I tried fight back the tears to get the words out.

My father, the only member of my immediate family who has ever been able to show me any kind of genuine respect, sympathy or understanding, said that I should not feel any guilt. He said, jokingly, "Please! don't do me any favors!!" He agreed with my embracing of DH's neices and nephews, as he has my mother's neices and nephews (since he had none on his side of the family being an only child). He said that I should instead think of it as a blessing that I didn't not bring an innocent child into the world burdened with serious problems, who would suffer the debilitating effects of mental illness that I (yeah... I said it!!!) and much of my family have suffered, as have my cousins. It's something that I considered before I even met DH. Would it have been cruel and selfish to have children knowing what my gene pool holds in store, or at least the potential it holds? Certainly, if everyone thought that way, there wouldn't be very many children born each year! 

But even as I write about the conversation, the tears are unstoppable.  My mother on the other hand makes comments about how she wishes she had more grandchildren. And I do truely believe that she faults me for not giving them to her. A couple weeks ago, when I was home visiting, we were going through her drawer of little gifts and trinkets people has given to her that she didn't want be kept to regift, or little bargains she has found for unexpected gift-giving occasions. As I openned one little box I realized it was a giant safety pin with blue rhinestones on it... a baby ornament. I looked at her puzzled. "Mom, this is a baby ornament." "I know," she said, "I saw it and just really liked it so I bought it." She had no one in mind or friends who had grandbabies on the way. I stung like a slap. She doesn't get it at all, and is just incapable of seeing how anyone would feel differently than she does.

Thankfully, I do have my dad. I hope he's around for many more years. He's the only one in my family who ever really got me at all.

4 comments:

  1. Hi...I've checked in on your blog for a few months, but didn't want to read and run this time. I appreciate what you say about the 'gene pool' and perhaps those of us who haven't been able to have children have had to think more than those blessed with children about what it IS to bring a child into this world. I think about how we have struggled, and continue to struggle, to get ourselves stable financially and would it have been fair to bring a child into this world with stressed out parents (who've had their fare share of mental health problems too)??!! BUT only we know that we have that love to give, that we had that space in our hearts that somehow will be filled with something else...

    Also...thinking about your parents, how wonderful you have the dad you have. (My mother either cries OR somehow manages to change the subject and my dad doesn't reference our infertility at all. Neither of my sisters ask, but neither do I talk about it, knowing that my sister, who is a mum of two, has already told our mum that she feels 'guilty' for having children.)

    Anyway...enough about me...I read this in the paper a few weeks ago on a problem page and wonder if it's something you could try with your mum...it's along the lines of saying 'when you say/do (state what it is) I feel deeply upset (or whatever the feeling is - state how you feel), so, in future, if you continue to say/do (state what it is) then I will understand that you are deliberately trying to upset me' Reading back on it, it's a strong statement to make...just a thought...

    take good care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking in and for commenting! I am very lucky, but I understand about no one in your family touching the subject of our childlessness. Typically it is a taboo subject, but something in this conversation took me there. It's hard not to feel like you have the support of your family in such a terribly isolating and devastating situation. But, c'est la vie! I have on several occasions attempted to explain to my sister that their comments or actions are very hurtful to me, but to no avail. I have to just remember that they are only capable of so much. To paraphrase Bishop T.D. Jakes, if you expect someone to love you on a gallon level and they are a pint person, you will continue to be disappointed your whole life! Well, I'm tired of being disappointed, so that means that I must adjust my expectations! It's simple self-preservation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...totally see that...will try to remember the analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to my blog and look @ the last image, on the latest posting, that I made which is entitled, "Ask me about my great, great, great, etc, etc, etc, etc...grandchildren.

    Stay on groovin' safari,
    Tor

    ReplyDelete