Search This Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sometimes it's hard to watch

So many times, we are faced with people who have been blessed with children and wonder "why them and not me." Some of those people, clueless as to the blessing that has been bestowed upon them, take their children for granted, depend on them to be the grown-ups, while still being the parent's playmate, and use them as pawns to get what they want.  I know just such a person... the very same person who said I couldn't care for their children because I didn't know how, since I had never been a mother. And yet, this person lives off of the children's SS benefits from their deceased parent, spends frivolously, is irresponsible, and plays on the emotions of their family to ensure that bills are paid... emotional embezzlement. This "parent" (and I use the term loosely!) uses others and threatens not allowing them to spend time with the children if things are not done according to the parent's desires. Sadly, the parent has the upper hand, for if the family were to dig in and demand that a job be obtained and some responsibility be taken, the children would be held "hostage," as it were, from their family and not allowed to visit. Unfortunately, there is not much to be done, since the children would be the ones who would ultimately suffer. Still, with hands tied, and eyes wide open, it's a very hard thing to watch.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean................. Truly I do. The best thing I can do in my position is to call children protective services on them, and hope for the best (of the children being removed to a better place).. Unfortunately I had to do that a few times. That is one of the few times I'd wonder "how come you give children to horrible people, yet not to me?" Still working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a terribly hard thing. Sometimes, as in this case, things are not severe enough to warrant calling child protective services. After all, it's not illegal to be an irresponsible, selfish twit.
    It just so happened that I came across another "why them, not me" situation last night. The mother of the most lovely, artsy young girl seemed, aloof, condescending, and, frankly, like kind of a whackadoodle! Why her? Why not me?!? It isn't fair. It hit me hard, knocking the wind right out of me. And the tears came, regardless of my efforts to stop them.

    ReplyDelete