Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I do too have a family!

I just took a quick peek at my Facebook wall and found that a woman had posted in a childless support forum about her struggle with infertility. It was very sad to see another person struggling with the loss of her dream to be a parent. But something she said really resonated with me and I felt it was something worth addressing here.  She said that all of her friends and families had "actual families." That took me aback. Don't get me wrong, I understand her meaning and, true, we do not have the children we so desperately desire, but that doesn't mean that we don't have a family! Honestly, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  Of course I don't want to hurt her feelings, but what gives anyone the right to say what constitutes a family?! My husband and I are NO LESS a family than the Duggar family, with their 19 children! (I won't even go THERE!) Granted, we are a smaller family... a family of two! But my darling, loving, wonderful husband IS my family! Do I wish that our family include a few more members... certainly! But that doesn't undo what we are and what we have. Additionally, we have neices, nephews, cousins, step-children, aunts, uncles, siblings, parents....what are they if not our ACTUAL familiy? I'm not saying that any of mine are perfect, but they are my family! Not to mention my fur kids... I dont' care what anyone says... they are as much a part of my family as any two legged member! I DO TOO have a family! And my childlessness does not negate that!

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, I may not have children but I most certainly have a family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Illanare. It's not that I don't understand where the woman was coming from, but I think it's insulting when people say things about me "not having a family." I mean, where do people get off!? Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more....that's why I started my blog "Living Life as a Family of Two". I too don't know where people get off saying that, because we don't have children, we are not considered a family. It really upsets me. My husband is my family and so is my horse, dogs and cat. I'd say, we were the perfect family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! :) Also we have friends who are our 'chosen family'!!

    ReplyDelete