Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

sad and feeling left out

Today, my husband, along with hundreds of other parents, is moving his son into the dorm for the upcoming school year. I am home alone. I don't get to take part in this right of passage. I don't get to participate. Oh, of course, I offer to help with getting things he needs and pick up occasional things I think he'll like or could use. But, I'm not his mother. I won't be preening and proudly helping my child into another chapter of his life. I'm not part of that club. My sister is. My husband is. His siblings are. Not me... I'm an outsider looking in, wishing that it was me. But it's not. And the saddest part is that it will never be.

2 comments:

  1. Every single year I dread if not now despise the starting of school because it is just another reason to be left out. when u don't have children you are automatically "excluded" from certain events, conversations & plans. then try being with someone who acts as if they "own" their children & if you are the step-parent you get treated as if you are not part of the original "family". I didn't ever ask for or plan to be childless. watching others plan for activities, school, homework, football games, etc and then see them complain of not having enough time or being stressed out? they should be on the real side-line feeling empty & alone. no matter what you do to be a second parent it us just never the same, & when u are excluded - even out of ignorance or thoughtlessness- it still hurts. as much as I try to be interested & supportive I still can barely stand this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! It's a really tough spot to be in. I'm sorry you have to be in this situation, too! Thanks for commenting! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete